NASCAR K&N Pro Series East Results: Peña Gets First Victory
Second-Year Diversity Driver Led Last 10 Laps For The Win
SOUTH BOSTON, VA. (April 17, 2011) — Sergio Peña won the South Boston 150 in NASCAR K&N Pro Series East action Sunday afternoon from South Boston Speedway by surviving pressure from Matt DiBenedetto and Max Gresham on a late restart.
Peña, out of Winchester, Va., took advantage of some tough luck for Brett Moffitt as the laps were winding down to collect his first series win.
Moffitt, who led much of the race and was out in front by three seconds as the laps were counting down, was knocked out of contention when he tangled with Michael Cherry with just 10 circuits to go. Moffitt was in search of what would have been a third-consecutive series win after winning the 2010 season finale and this season's opener.
Peña, who jumped onto the scene in January 2010 when he narrowly lost to NASCAR Sprint Cup Series star Joey Logano in the NASCAR Toyota All-Star Showdown, inherited the lead from Moffitt on Lap 141 and made it stand.
Peña drives for Revolution Racing as part of Drive for Diversity.
DiBenedetto placed second followed by Gresham, Coleman Pressley and Ryan Gifford.
Polesitter Darrell Wallace Jr. led the first 73 laps – a race-high – and finished in the sixth position with Andrew Smith, Alex Bowman, D.J. Shaw and Derek Ramstrom rounding out the top 10.
The South Boston 150 will be televised by SPEED on Thursday, May 12 at 6 p.m. ET.
The NASCAR K&N Pro Series East will return to action on Thursday, April 28 at Richmond (Va.) International Raceway for the Blue Ox 100.
For additional information, contact:
Jason Cunningham, Integrated Marketing Communications, (704) 201-6658 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
NASCAR K&N Pro Series East-South Boston 150 Unofficial Results
Lap length: 0.4 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (3) Sergio Peña, Winchester, Va., Toyota, 150 laps, 51.998 mph
2. (4) Matt DiBenedetto, Grass Valley, Calif., Toyota, 150
3. (7) Max Gresham, Griffin, Ga., Toyota, 150
4. (10) Coleman Pressley, Asheville, N.C., Toyota, 150
5. (12) Ryan Gifford, Winchester, Tenn., Toyota, 150
6. (1) Darrell Wallace, Jr., Mobile, Ala., Toyota, 150
7. (8) Andrew Smith, Pooler, Ga., Chevrolet, 150
8. (22) Alex Bowman, Tucson, Ariz., Toyota, 150
9. (19) D.J. Shaw, Conway, N.H., Chevrolet, 150
10. (17) Derek Ramstrom, West Boylston, Mass., Chevrolet, 150
11. (26) Brandon Gdovic, Yorktown, Va., Dodge, 150
12. (20) Brandon Haley, Lavonia, Ga., Ford, 150
13. (25) Clay Campbell, Martinsville, Va., Chevrolet, 150
14. (15) Ben Kennedy, Daytona Beach, Fla., Chevrolet, 150
15. (16) Cody Hodgson, Escalon, Calif., Chevrolet, 149
16. (28) Ryan Lynch, New Boston, Texas, Chevrolet, 149
17. (29) Julian Albarracin, Bogata, Columbia, Chevrolet, 149
18. (27) Daniel Suarez, Monterrey, Mexico, Dodge, 149
19. (14) Eddie MacDonald, Rowley, Mass., Chevrolet, 148
20. (18) Chad Boat, Phoenix, Ariz., Chevrolet, 148
21. (23) Cale Conley, Vienna, W.Va., Chevrolet, 147
22. (9) Chase Elliott, Dawsonville, Ga., Chevrolet, 146
23. (6) Michael Cherry, Valrico, Fla., Toyota, 145
24. (2) Brett Moffitt, Grimes, Iowa, Toyota, 140, accident
25. (24) Rick Gdovic, Pittsburgh, Pa., Dodge, 139, accident
26. (13) Benny Gordon, DuBois, Pa., Chevrolet, 116, sway bar
27. (21) Zach Germain, Bexley, Ohio, Toyota, 111, accident
28. (30) Michelle Theriault, Bristol, Conn., Toyota, 105
29. (5) Corey LaJoie, Concord, N.C., Ford, 46, mechanical
30. (11) Tanner Berryhill, Tulsa, Okla., Chevrolet, 14, accident
Time of Race: 1 hour 9 minutes 14 seconds
Margin of Victory: 1.055 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: D.Wallace, Jr. (91.394 mph, 15.756 seconds)
Caution Flags: 6 for 39 laps.
Lead Changes: 2 among 3 drivers.
Lap Leaders: D. Wallace,Jr. 1-73; B. Moffitt 74-140; S. Peña 141-150.
Standings: 1. S. Peña, 331; 2. C. Pressley, 330; 3. M. DiBenedetto, 325; 4. D. Wallace,Jr., 310; 5. A. Bowman, 307; 6. B. Moffitt, 286; 7. R. Gifford, 279; 8. A. Smith, 273; 9. M. Gresham, 265; 10. B. Haley, 265.
NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour Results: Christopher Wins
Saturday Rain Out Provides Opportunity For South Boston Victory By Veteran
SOUTH BOSTON, VA. (April 17, 2011) – Ted Christopher traveled south to Virginia early Sunday morning and picked up a NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour victory in the South Boston 150 in the afternoon at South Boston Speedway.
Christopher outdueled George Brunnhoelzl III, who won the first two Whelen Southern Modified Tour events in 2011, to earn yet another win in his storied career. Christopher, who won the season-opening Icebreaker last weekend in Thompson, Conn., on the NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour, collected his fifth career win on the southern tour.
Christopher started 17th after the field was set by points after qualifying was rained out on Saturday night. He moved up through the field and was in the top in the top five by Lap 20. Christopher was able to get past Zach Brewer on Lap 99 and remain out front the rest of the afternoon.
Brewer finished third followed by Tim Brown and John Smith. The rest of the top-10 were Frank Fleming, Jason Myers, Lee Jeffreys, Patrick Emerling and Darryl Lacks.
Brunnhoelzl maintains his lead in the standings by 75 points over Smith. The race was slowed seven times by caution for 33 laps.
The NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour will be in action next on Saturday, April 23 at Caraway Speedway in Sophia, N.C.
Whelen Southern Modified Tour-South Boston 150 Unofficial Results
Lap length: 0.4 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (17) Ted Christopher, Plainville, Conn., Chevrolet, 150 laps, 62.627 mph.
2. (13) George Brunnhoelzl III, West Babylon, NY, Chevrolet, 150.
3. (5) Zach Brewer, Winston-Salem, NC, Chevrolet, 150.
4. (10) Tim Brown, Cana, VA, Chevrolet, 150.
5. (4) John Smith, Mount Airy, NC, Chevrolet, 150.
6. (7) Frank Fleming, Mt. Airy, NC, Ford, 150.
7. (6) Jason Myers, Walnut Cove, NC, Ford, 150.
8. (1) Lee Jeffreys, Winston-Salem, NC, Ford, 150.
9. (15) Patrick Emerling, Orchard Park, N.Y., Chevrolet, 150.
10. (18) Darryl Lacks, Forrest, Va., Chevrolet, 149.
11. (19) Donnie Lacks, Forrest, Va., Chevrolet, 147.
12. (9) Austin Pack, Winston-Salem, NC, Chevrolet, 144.
13. (2) L.W. Miller, Dushore, PA, Chevrolet, 144.
14. (3) James Civali, Meriden, CT, Pontiac, 107.
15. (8) Andy Seuss, Hampstead, NH, Chevrolet, 103.
16. (12) Josh Nichols, Winston-Salem, NC, Chevrolet, 86, too slow.
17. (11) Mike Norman, Lewisville, NC, Chevrolet, 86.
18. (16) Michael Speeney, Newtown, Pa., Chevrolet, 74, accident.
19. (14) Thomas Stinson, Chester, VA, Chevrolet, 65, accident.
Time of Race: 57 minutes 29 seconds
Margin of Victory: .319 seconds
Caution Flags: 7 for 33 laps.
Lead Changes: 6 among 4 drivers.
Lap Leaders: L. Miller 1-5; L. Jeffreys 6; L. Miller 7-22; L. Jeffreys 23; L. Miller
24-32; Z. Brewer 33-98; T. Christopher 99-150.
Standings: 1. G. Brunnhoelzl III, 540; 2. J. Smith, 465; 3. Z. Brewer, 462; 4. J. Civali,
446; 5. T. Brown, 445; 6. J. Myers, 443; 7. T. Stinson, 426; 8. L. Miller, 421; 9. A.
Seuss, 410; 10. F. Fleming, 398.
Next Race At South Boston Speedway
NASCAR racing will return to South Boston Speedway Saturday night with the USG Late Model 150 racing program.
The first race of the night will get the green flag at 7 p.m.
A 150-lap race for the NASCAR Whelen All-American Series Late Model Stock Car Division headlines the night's action. Also included on the program are races for the Limited Sportsman, Budweiser Pure Stocks and Southern Vintage Modified divisions. A race is also scheduled for the IMCA-Style Modifieds.
South Boston Speedway will celebrate Easter Weekend with its annual pre-race Easter Egg Hunt for the kids and a visit by the Easter Bunny.
Practice will go from 2:30 p.m. until 4:30 p.m. Grandstand gates will open at 5 p.m. Qualifying time trials will begin at 5:30 p.m. and the first race will start at 7 p.m.
Admission will be $10 for adults and $5 for youths ages 7-12 when accompanied by a paying adult. Kids ages six and under are admitted free with a paying adult.
For additional information about the USG Late Model 150 racing program or any other events at South Boston Speedway, telephone the speedway at 434-572-4947 or 1-877-440-1540.
South Boston Speedway
Director of Media Operations
Office Phone: (336) 599-0162, extension 111
Speedway Office Phone: (434) 572-4947