With Debut Under Belt, Germain Ready for South Boston Challenge
Mooresville , N.C. (March, 30, 2010) – Zach Germain made his NASCAR K&N Pro Series debut last weekend in Greenville , S.C. This weekend, the rookie racer for Germain Racing will take on South Boston Speedway in the No. 24 Germain.com Camry. Germain says his debut race, all 150 laps of it, presented his team with a great variety of challenges which should work in their favor for Saturday's NASCAR K&N Pro Series 150.
"With last week's 150-lap race completed, and our team meeting our goal of completing every lap, I am confident we are ready for just about anything this weekend at South Boston Speedway. I got plenty of practice with restarts, with pitting, with dealing with the changes that happen over a 150-lap run on fuel and tires. It was the longest race of my career and to finish it in 11th place gives me a lot of confidence heading into this week's challenging track," said Germain, 25, of Columbus , OH .
Germain tested at South Boston and says the guidance he received from his spotter, BJ Mcleod, helped him find a comfort level with the track. He looks forward to returning to South Boston with a better idea of what to expect from a K&N Pro Series race weekend.
"When we tested at South Boston , it took me a while to learn the track, but I was able to keep improving in the Germain.com Camry every lap. BJ serves as my spotter, but he's also doing a considerable amount of coaching because he's been behind the wheel of a race car for so long. He helps me communicate better with Mike Abner, my crew chief. After the way our team came together at the South Boston test, and knowing now what to expect of a race weekend, I'm anxious to get back to track," said Germain, a graduate of Miami University of Ohio.
Learning is the theme for this No. 24 Germain.com Camry team while finishing laps is the goal. As crew chief Mike Abner explains, the team is doing fine.
"Zach is doing very well as a rookie driver. He's been presented with a lot of variables in the last few weeks and he's dealt well with all of them. Based on the results we were able to achieve in our first race, it's obvious he's learning a lot and he's very committed to our team goal," said Abner, who has led Germain Racing to victory lane in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series.
While South Boston is the second short-track in a row on the K&N Pro Series East schedule, the track is very different to drive.
" South Boston is an incredibly nice, well-maintained facility. I'm looking forward to racing on a little more banking and a smoother racing surface this weekend," said Germain.
Zach Germain races the No. 24 Germain.com Camry Saturday, April 3rd, at South Boston Speedway. Qualifying is at 1:00 PM ET, with racing at 3 PM. Saturday's race will air on SPEED on April 15th at 6 PM ET.
Germain Racing is a championship-winning organization competing in all three of NASCAR's national series. The team adds the K&N Pro Series East No. 24 Germain.com Camry to its lineup this year, and may add K&N Pro Series West and late model races. Sponsorship and branding opportunities are available. Visit GermainRacing.com for more information.
When shopping for your new or used car or truck, head directly to Germain.com to find the perfect vehicle or visit your local Germain dealer in Ohio , Florida , or Arkansas . Follow Zach Germain or Germain Racing on Twitter @ZachGermain, @GermainRacing, or on the web, Germainracing.com or become a Facebook fan.
- Zach Germain, age 25, was raised in Columbus , Ohio
- Germain first raced a Legends car at age 21
- Zach is the middle child of three children born to Steve and Kim Germain. Jessica is his older sister and Austin is his younger brother
- Zach is a 2007 graduate of Miami University
- In 2009, Germain competed in the super late model division at Columbus Motor Speedway
- Zach Germain is competing as a Rookie in the K&N Pro Series East
- Crew chief Mike Abner, of Oran , MO , joined Germain Racing in 2007. His first crew chief assignment was the No. 9 Tundra, which he led to victory at Texas Motor Speedway. He has worked with many Germain Racing rookie drivers: Chrissy Wallace, Dustin Skinner, Max Papis
- Germain.com is the central website for the Germain Motor Company, a top-25 automotive retail network with locations in Ohio , Florida and Arkansas . As car and truck buying moves from being a local process to a regional process, Germain.com is seeing increased business from neighboring cities and states
- In preparation for the 2010 season Zach has tested the Germain.com Camry at Greenville and South Boston and accompanied Germain Racing's Truck Series champion, Todd Bodine, and Nationwide Series driver, Michael Annett on a team test at Motor Mile where Zach logged 50 laps in the No. 30 Germain.com Tundra
- Germain Racing has won two or more races each year in the Truck Series since its first race in 2004. The team has 18 wins, seven pole awards and one Truck Series championship and five consecutive seasons with top-five championship points finishes
- Germain Racing has competed for two full seasons in the NASCAR Nationwide Series where the team has finished in the top-ten in championship points for two consecutive years
- Germain Racing competed in its first partial-schedule NASCAR Sprint Cup Series season in 2009 and earned a top-ten finish in its eighth race
- Germainracing.com offers news and information about the championship team as well as links to driver websites and sponsorship information
Follow on Twitter @GermainRacing or @ZachGermain or become a fan of Germain Racing on Facebook
South Boston Speedway
Director of Media Operations
Office Phone: (336) 599-0162, extension 111
Speedway Office Phone: (434) 572-4947